Firefly is proud to release our preferred battery systems being a combination of AGM, Gel and OPZs and OPZv. Over the last 4 years we have been doing extensive research on the battery sector, scoping out the best batteries for your solar and backup power requirements. The requirement we wanted for our clients was to find a battery system that could give you the best return on your capital investment by giving you a great cycle life. Firefly batteries are proud to present a range that can last you from 5 years to 20 years dependent of your requirements.
Important factors to consider when specifying a battery
- The number of Amp Hours you will need for your system to function based on the load and the usage patterns
- The depth of discharge you want you design your system to as batteries do not liked to be discharged 100% so always try and design to a maximum discharge of between 30% to 50% of capacity for a solar system and a maximum discharge of 70% for a UPS system
- How many hours or days of backup power you want in your battery storage system is important and again ensure that this is set the discharge the battery is specified to.
- Batteries are sensitive to temperature so you need to look at where you are going to install them as they like to be kept at about 25°C
- Make sure the batteries are in a well ventilated place, even the sealed ones, as there will vent gas which smells and can be flammable
- The charging of the battery. Make sure that the inverter has at least a 3 stage charge control. Bulk, Absorption and Float. This is important in the battery lifespan as every battery has different charging requirements and if you get this wrong you will shorten the life span of the battery
- Batteries are a large expense so make sure you send the time and money to accurately data log the correct Amp Hours and usage pattern to ensure your batteries are designed right and last the maximum amount of time.
- Circulation Pumps
- Gas Appliances
- Heat Pumps
- LED Lights
- Solar Power
- Solar Water Heating